Students research malaria as a global health issue and discuss examples and ideas for preventing the spread of the disease.
- Students will use online data and maps to draw conclusions about the global impact of malaria.
- Students will explain how malaria is spread and use their knowledge of the life cycle of mosquitoes to propose prevention strategies.
- Students will discuss an example of Peace Corps Volunteers in Senegal working to prevent the spread of malaria.
- Provide students with copies of the Malaria Worksheet.
- Divide students into small groups of 2-3 people.
- As a class, watch Fighting Malaria One Net at a Time to introduce a malaria prevention project by Peace Corps Volunteers and local health workers in Senegal.
- Direct students to continue researching malaria by visiting the websites below on class computers or tablets and filling out pages 1 and 2 of the Malaria Worksheet. This worksheet will guide students through different malaria resources available on these websites,
- Once students have completed their worksheets, encourage them to share their findings with another small group.
Assessment & Evaluation
As reflection activity, provide each student a copy of the Self-Evaluation Form to complete questions 1-5.